Berkeley Group was awarded the Transformation Award at The Better Society Awards 2022, for making sustainable and significant changes to its operations.
The Better Society Network’s annual awards celebrate companies “who are helping create a better, more equal, ethical and sustainable world for all.”
Judges commended Berkeley’s decade-long track-record, and future plans to improve the built environment, while addressing environmental, social and governance issues.
Over the last year, Berkeley has been putting its ambitious, holistic business strategy, Our Vision 2030, into practice. The strategy’s purpose is to maximise Berkeley’s positive impact on society, the economy and the natural world.
2021-22 highlights include:
- 43 Net Biodiversity Gain Strategies in place, which will create or measurably improve 500 acres of natural habitat.
- Becoming a founding partner of the Blue Recovery Leaders Group
- Increasing the number of sites using of biofuels by 25%
- Procuring 100% renewable electricity across UK operations
- Becoming a member of the 5% Club, committing to at least 5% of our employees and people working on our sites being a graduate, apprentice or sponsored student.
- Expanding our apprentice programme, recruiting 63 Construction Management Apprentices
- Designing a new apprenticeship programme with Farnborough College and Ixion
- Becoming a Platinum Member of Women Into Construction