Berkeley is the only UK homebuilder to be awarded an A rating for Climate Action and Transparency, which is the highest score possible. This year only 3% of all companies assessed by CDP achieved this leadership grade.
Berkeley has delivered carbon neutral direct business operations since May 2017 and procures 100% renewable electricity across all UK operations.
The company has set ambitious science-based targets for reducing its greenhouse gas emissions in the years ahead, which have been independently verified by the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi).
These reduction targets cover Berkeley's direct emissions, the embodied carbon within its supply chain and the in-use emissions created by its homes. They have been calculated to align with the global movement to limit global warming to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels, which would help to limit the worst effects of climate change.
Berkeley is also focussed on adapting its homes and neighbourhoods to make them more resilient to the challenges of a warmer climate, including hotter summers and more extreme weather events.
Rob Perrins, Berkeley Group Chief Executive, said: "We are committed to tackling climate change and creating the low carbon homes of tomorrow. Our approach is holistic, ambitious and hugely challenging. It involve transformational changes to our business operations and to the ways we design and create new places in partnership with our supply chain.
"We want to play a full role in this vital global movement and believe it is the right thing to do for all of our stakeholders. Taking meaningful action on climate change will ultimately make Berkeley a more successful and sustainable business."
Paul Simpson, CDP Chief Executive, said: "We extend our congratulations to all the companies on this year's A List. Taking the lead on environmental transparency and action is one of the most important steps businesses can make, and is even more impressive in this challenging year marked by COVID-19... Our A List celebrates those companies who are preparing themselves to excel in the economy of the future by taking action today."
Climate change action is embedded within Berkeley's business strategy, Our Vision, which include the following key measures:
- 100% renewable electricity purchased for sites, offices and UK sales suites since May 2017.
- Voluntary offsetting of 110% of emissions from sites, offices, sales suites and business travel on an annual basis since May 2017, making our day-to-day business activities 'carbon neutral'.
- Internal carbon fee levied on each operating company to incentivise emissions reductions, with the funds used to purchase the voluntary carbon offsets.
- Group-wide guidance on energy efficient site set-up and operations, in addition to a best practice directory of energy efficient technologies, equipment and initiatives.
- Investment in energy efficiency measures such as low energy lighting systems and master 'off' switches to reduce unnecessary out of hours consumption, whilst working with our supply chain to trial new technologies such as electric excavators and biodiesel as an alternative fuel
- Thermal comfort risk assessments applied to all new developments to ensure they are resilient to future climate challenges.
Download our 'Climate Action' brochure to find out more about our approach to taking climate action.