The Berkeley Group has won a record 20 awards at this year's Considerate Constructors Scheme National Site Awards.
The awards are given to only the highest scoring 7.5% of registered sites. They recognise the exceptional standards of consideration shown by registered sites towards their local neighbourhoods, general public, workforce and the environment.
The Berkeley Group was awarded Gold for construction sites on St George Wharf Tower and 375 Kensington High Street, as well as an additional 17 silver and bronze awards for sites including Goodman's Fields, Woodberry Down and Riverlight.
It was also Runner Up for the highly prestigious title; Most Considerate in the UK for phase 2 of its £1 billion regeneration project, Kidbrooke Village in Greenwich, London. Some of the initiatives which contributed to its commendation included:
- Litter picking for non-related rubbish around perimeter of site with full time cleaning team
- Driving a local Labour initiative resulting in 154 out of 255 local employed from ethnic backgrounds
- Introducing a community timber recycling scheme
- Reusing surplus materials and donating timber for beehives and school chicken coops
- Soft landscaping planting design to increase biodiversity and encourage butterflies
- Issuing eco-cabins free to all trade contractors
- Recycling oil food canteen to power generators
Commenting on this year's awards, Managing Director Rob Perrins said:
"I am absolutely delighted that Berkeley has been recognised by the Considerate Constructors Scheme on such a big scale. We go way beyond statutory requirements to ensure our constructors have a positive impact on the environment and the neighbourhoods in which we develop, and we're working hard to improve this all the time."
The Berkeley Group currently has 100% of live sites signed up to the scheme. Their average assessment score by the Considerate Constructors Scheme recently increased to 35.7 out of 40, the highest Berkeley has ever achieved.
Notes to editors:
- The Berkeley Group builds homes and neighbourhoods. We focus on creating beautiful, successful places. We work together with other people to tackle the shortage of good quality homes, and we make a lasting contribution to the landscape and to the communities we help create.
- The Berkeley Group is made up of 5 autonomous companies: St George, St James, Berkeley, Berkeley First, and St Edward. We are publicly-owned and listed on the London Stock Exchange as a FTSE 250 company.
- The Berkeley Group was voted Britain's Most Admired Company across all industries in 2011, and has been ranked Britain's most sustainable major housebuilder for the last seven years in a row by the Next Generation benchmark.
- The Berkeley Foundation supports young people and their communities across London and the South of England through charitable donations and the time and talent of our staff.
- All media enquires to: Matt Bell, Group Head of External Affairs email@example.com 01932 868 555
Back to Press Releases