Application Reference Number: 0341
Location: Vauxhall, London
Position Type: Permanent
Application End Date: 28/05/2021
Job Purpose: The Sustainability Manager will be the key point of contact for sustainability issues on our construction sites and planning applications, and will work with the Head of Sustainability and the Graduate Sustainability Advisor to deliver the Berkeley Group corporate sustainability strategy at a divisional level within St James and St William. The role will be varied, focusing not only on environmental issues, but also the social and economic impacts of the project's activities. The Sustainability Manager will be expected to support the project teams in complying with environmental regulations and Berkeley's development and construction standards, as well as meeting the Berkeley Group's Sustainability Strategy. A typical working week may include: walking around the construction sites to check that operations are carried out in line with environmental best practice; collating electricity meter readings and fuel tickets for company reporting; working with the project team to identify and implement innovations to reduce waste generation; working with the planning team to apply Berkeley's framework for social sustainability; running a training session to increase awareness of sustainability issues within the build team
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Adopt a proactive approach to improving performance and promoting sustainability to all staff
- Raise awareness of the Sustainability Strategy and Standards via both formal and informal training of staff
- Work with project teams throughout the whole development process (from land buying to design, product specification and construction, through to sales and customer service) to ensure Group sustainability standards and commitments are met
- Undertake frequent visits to construction sites to assess compliance with the in-house environmental management system and make recommendations for improvement
- Assist in the collation, analysis and reporting of data (such as waste volumes and utility and fuel use) to enable the assessment of performance against sustainability targets
- Keep up-to-date with the sustainability agenda, new legislation and best practice guidelines and understand how they may affect the company
- Prepare guidance to assist project teams in managing sustainability
- Attend meetings with senior management to discuss sustainability performance
- Set and communicate key tasks to any Graduate members of the team
- Work as part of the Group and cross-divisional Sustainability Forums to share knowledge, drive good practice and implement the corporate Sustainability Strategy
- Compile written reports on sustainability performance
- 5+ years' experience of working within the construction industry and a degree in a relevant subject.
- The candidate will be motivated and enthusiastic about promoting sustainability. You must also be confident, articulate and resilient in your approach, with the ability to apply sustainability principles in a commercially focussed manner.
- IEMA membership, preferred.
- Good knowledge of sustainability issues within the construction/house building industry.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Confidence in working with people at all levels in an organisation
- The ability to motivate people to change their behaviour
- Experience of delivering and organising training
- The ability to work independently and manage their own workload
- Data analysis and management
- Experience of large regeneration projects and/or embodied carbon assessments of buildings would be an advantage.
Please note our standard working hours are 8am until 5:30pm Monday to Friday.
Our Culture & Values
Build trust by being open, clear and credible
Take pride in what we do and the impact we make
Work together, empower people and value their contribution
Find individual solutions for every site and situation
Deliver the best through attention to detail in everything we do
Here at the Berkeley Group we proactively appoint trusted suppliers when we require support from Recruitment Companies. The Berkeley Group does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies without consent.
Please fill in details below