Health and Safety Manager
Application Reference Number: 0225
Function: Head Office
Location: Westminster, Central London
Position Type: Permanent
Application End Date: 05/02/2021
Job Purposed: The role sits within one of Berkeley Group's Divisions - Berkeley St Edward. This Division is notionally split in three sections, Operations - Inner London, Operations - Outer London and Central Functions. The Health and Safety Department sit in the Central Functions section, but covers all aspects of the Division.
The projects they build are normally large scale high value residential projects, however they also build smaller housing projects in London and on the outskirts of London.
This role suits an individual that has experience working for a large business. The individual would report to the Head of Health and Safety, however would also report operationally to the Operations Director and work closely with the project teams on a day to day basis.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The Health and Safety Manager will undertake the responsibilities as detailed below:
- Work with the project team to provide advice and guidance on health and safety matters.
- Making themselves aware of the content of the Health and Safety Management System and any subsequent updates.
- Brief new project staff on the Safety Management System. This briefing is to be documented on the new starter checklist.
- Briefing their project team on any new Safety Management System requirements or updates.
- Immediate notification (by telephone) will be provided to the Head of Health and Safety following any accident or incident (including first aid and near miss).
- Investigate all incidents in line with the previous table to ensure causes and corrective actions are identified and implemented (An initial investigation presentation will be provided within 1 week of the incident, updates shall be provided on a daily basis as deemed appropriate for the seriousness of the incident, provision of the final report, arrangement of the incident review meeting and presentation of findings shall be organised as deemed appropriate for the seriousness and complexity of the incident, but normally within one month).
- Monthly review of the Risk Assessment Method Statement tracker/register to be undertaken and issues brought to the attention of the project lead.
- To make themselves aware of all Risk Assessments and Method Statements for activities taking place on their project and formally review when required.
- Review the adequacy of the Construction Phase Plan / Lift Plan / Temporary Works/ Emergency Response/ Fire Plans on a monthly basis following the project teams update.
- Review the adequacy of the Design Management Plan on a monthly basis following the project teams update.
- The TASK card system is briefed to all BSE managers and contractor's managers.
- Trend analysis of safety conversation findings is undertaken and remedial action plans developed.
- Monitor and report upon compliance with health and safety procurement procedure including but not limited to;
- Ensure tender list is provided to Head of Health and Safety for sign off,
- Ensure where contractors are not stage 1 approved, approval process is commenced,
- Input into the development of each scope of works,
- Undertake Project Specific Assessment (stage 2),
- Take references from other Berkeley Operating Companies as appropriate,
- Undertake formal site visits and take reference for proposed contractor(s) in line with Procurement procedure,
- Ensure high risk package review meetings are conducted as required,
- Provide confirmation of all of the above to the Head of Health and Safety to allow Contract Recommendation Sign Off,
- Attend pre-start meetings and ensure pre-start H&S checklist is completed.
- Attend all Project Review Meetings (PRM).
- Pre-audit their project in preparation for Group Assessments and invite Head of Safety to review.
- Write up the Head of HS 'formal' health and safety inspection report and recorded on CR360.
- Undertake a Health and Safety inspection on the Sales and Marketing suites, sales units and public areas of the project on a monthly basis if the suite is based on a live project.
- Complete Weekly return by midday Friday.
- Complete Monthly H&S Returns and issue to the Head of Safety by 2nd working day of the month
- Complete MPR reports and issue to the project team by 2nd working day of the month.
- Assist the project team in the planning of the project, including but not limited to; planning of logistics and traffic management, lifting operations, fire risk assessments and strategy, construction techniques and methodologies and their associated risks and required control measures.
The Health and Safety Manager will monitor and report to the project team on the project's compliance in the following areas:
- The implementation of the Berkeley St Edward policies and procedures.
- Whether the project team are reviewing and developing Construction Phase Plan / Lift Plan / Temporary Works/ Emergency Response/ Fire Plans/ Design Management Plan on a monthly basis.
- Designer Competency Assessments are undertaken.
- Site teams are reviewing RAMS, including point of work monitoring on a monthly basis.
- Site teams are reviewing the RAMS tracker including the plans within the tracker are up to date.
- Risk review meetings are held at applicable hold points.
- Risk Register is updated on a monthly basis.
- Relevant H&S appointments have been undertaken.
- Ensure Friday packs are completed by the subcontractors.
- BSE managers are checking the application of the TASK card system at the point of work.
- Safety conversations are undertaken by BSE managers and recorded onto SharePoint.
- The remedial action plan following safety conversations is implemented by the project team.
- An action plan is developed following the Quarterly Director Responsible for Health and Safety Tour and is implemented ahead of the next visit.
- Group Assessment visits are adequately prepared for and packs of information provided, as required.
- An appropriate site induction is delivered by the appropriate persons, and that a rota is developed. The Health and Safety Manager / Advisor should not conduct more than one induction per week.
- Monthly regional SLT's are undertaken, packs are prepared and input as required.
- Monthly project SLT's are undertaken (black hats).
- Permit processes and systems are implemented by Project Management.
- All independent inspections are undertaken at the required frequency and closed out as appropriate.
- Safe Start Briefing / Daily Co-ordination Meeting.
- Assist with Contractor's Monthly Scoring report.
- Projects are closing out reports on Credit 360 within the agreed time scales.
- Directors tours are undertaken on a weekly basis and recorded on CR360 no later than midday Friday.
- Experience in similar role.
- Minimum NEBOSH Construction Certificate (or equivalent).
- Minimum Grad IOSH (or working towards).
- A construction related background.
- A track record of motivating and developing a skilled health and safety team.
Please note our standard working hours are 8am until 5:30pm Monday to Friday.
Our Culture & Values
Build trust by being open, clear and credible
Take pride in what we do and the impact we make
Work together, empower people and value their contribution
Find individual solutions for every site and situation
Deliver the best through attention to detail in everything we do
Here at the Berkeley Group we proactively appoint trusted suppliers when we require support from Recruitment Companies. The Berkeley Group does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies without consent.
Please fill in details below