Senior Quality Surveyor
Application Reference Number: 0155
Location: Birmingham, West Midlands
Position Type: Permanent
Application End Date: 08/01/2021
Job Purpose: The Senior Quantity Surveyor shall maintain control of the tasks identified under this stage, with other project surveyors providing assistance in updating various elements from time to time and working towards taking full control of some of these procedures. As part of this role, the Senior Quantity Surveyor may be required to carry out tasks identified under the previous stages. Under this stage certain individuals will be designated team leaders, heading up the commercial teams that they are working with. This will involve reporting back all relevant and key team information to director level and to other team leaders and attending regular team leader meetings.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Procurement & Management
- Tasks undertaken in previous roles to be continued
- Review procurement strategies with the Project Team and propose recommended procurement strategies at various stages of the Project.
- Prepare initial TES (Tender Event Schedule) and distribute to the Technical and Production teams for their comment approval.
- Review and comment on the MDP (Master Development Programme) to ensure it ties in with the TES.
- Monitor the MDP and detailed sequences discussed with specialist Subcontractors throughout the Tender / Procurement process.
- Attend Design Team Meetings, review of initial Tender packs and provide input on optimization of specification as part of the Value Engineering process.
- Meet specialist consultants at early stages in design process to establish any value engineering opportunities that can be incorporated into the early design.
- Review Tender Lists and provide input into Subcontractors to be considered.
- Maintain an overall input into all procurement activities and presentation of Tender packs to Directors.
- Contractor management - payments, valuing variations, resolving disputes, Final Accounts. For various value Subcontracts, including more complex packages
- Complete overall Project Benchmark comparison exercises and square foot analysis.
- Approve all Tender Lists, Tender Recommendations, PSIs (Project Specific Instructions), payments, CCOPs (Client Change Order Proposals), NIPs (Notice of Instruction to Proceed) and the like.
- Attend third party meetings where necessary.
- Liaise with Statutory Authorities.
- Assist with the development of the Commercial Team, involving them in various elements of the next stages in their development.
- Provide commercial support to the Technical team, assisting with commercial aspects of various Applications / Insurances / Guarantees / Warranties etc.
- Manage commercial and team resources in accordance with budget allowance.
- Recruitment of commercial staff where applicable.
- Propose workable and realistic solutions to obstacles / complications that become apparent on the project across various disciplines.
- Liaise with Technical and Construction Team leaders in relation to key project decisions and be proactive in key decision making and negotiating throughout the project.
- Correctly identify & prepare Contractual Notices for all events and administer the COC/PSI conditions accordingly
- Identify potential Disputes in a timely manner.
Cost Plans and Reporting
- Formulating and submitting WIP (Work In Progress) releases in conjunction with the MDP for CCOP sign off.
- Completing restacks against Cost Plans in conjunction with scheme proposals and relay to Finance Team.
- Complete Cost Plan split / allocation exercises in relation to Infrastructure, Commercial areas, etc.
- Produce a consolidated Cost Plan / BOQ from the initial Budget to allocate trade budgets
- Provide the Finance Team with information such as monthly WIP Accruals / Liabilities, monthly Cost Reports, phase build costs and any relevant financial information as requested.
- Complete Cash flow forecast exercises.
- Produce weekly and monthly progress / key issue reports for Directors.
- Produce monthly Cost Reports for cost review meetings with Directors.
- Summarise Infrastructure costs associated with specific Project, as well as identify and monitor Infrastructure costs
- Review/monitor costs of future upcoming works.
- Monitor the CCOP process, highlighting any proposed adjustments to the Budget.
- Provide Budgets to the Land Team for proposed amendments to any planning changes.
- Provide Budgets for Commercial units to the Development team for any proposed changes to aid with marketing commercial units.
- Attend monthly Production meetings with Technical, Construction team leaders, and Directors.
- Manage Professional Fees Budgets in conjunction with the Technical team. Technical team to provide monthly update on fees schedule for incorporation into cost report.
- External clients associated with outside funding involvement, such as Housing Associations or Local Authorities.
- Attend Client facing meetings
- Administer the Client Contract e.g. issue Notices of Practical Completion; pull together handover documents in conjunction with the Technical Team.
- Produce external Valuations
- Agree external Variations
- Individual customers who request changes to their apartment/house
- Manage the customer choices schedule; liaise with the Customer Relations Manager for the Project.
- Price customer requests. Confirm with Technical / Production that the request is feasible. Manage the sign off process between Sales and Head of Construction.
- Instruct approved customer requests.
Commercial Team Leaders
- Becoming a dedicated Commercial Team Leader responsible for developing, structuring and maintaining teams, as well as feeding back information and ideas across teams to various Commercial Team Leaders.
- Carrying out Staff Appraisal as a Commercial Team Leader.
- Recruitment of staff in conjunction with Line Manager
- Reviewing team outputs to ensure compliance with procedures and protocols.
- Reviewing team outputs to ensure accuracy
- Reviewing information for Pre Plan meetings.
- Forward Planning
- Ideally Quantity Surveying or Construction degree level educated
- Preferably membership of a professional body (CIOB, RICS)
- Proactive, self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook
- Keen to deliver exceptional customer service
- An effective leader, motivator and mentor
- Flexible and reliable
- Credible, and comfortable in dealing with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Reliable, tolerant, and determined
- Team player
- Empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view
- Well-presented and business like
Please note our standard working hours are 8am until 5.30pm Monday to Friday.
Our Culture & Values
Build trust by being open, clear and credible
Take pride in what we do and the impact we make
Work together, empower people and value their contribution
Find individual solutions for every site and situation
Deliver the best through attention to detail in everything we do
Here at the Berkeley Group we proactively appoint trusted suppliers when we require support from Recruitment Companies. The Berkeley Group does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies without consent.
Please fill in details below