Health and Safety Manager
Application Reference Number: 0107
Function: Health and Safety
Location: White City
Position Type: Permanent
Application End Date: 02/10/2020
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Head of Health and Safety, you will be responsible for ensuring the effective management of Safety and Health through both the pre-construction and construction phases of the project.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Actively promote a positive and open health and safety culture at all times.
- Ensure appropriate actions are taken to remedy any reported shortfalls in health and safety performance.
- Report all incidents and accidents.
- Stop work if you feel your personal safety is being compromised.
- Set a personal example regards safety leadership at all times.
- Assist the Head of Health and Safety in the preparation of St James Group H&S Management System procedures and associated documents.
- Perform operational Health and Safety Audits and Inspections as directed by the Head of Health and Safety.
- Attend monthly Health and Safety Team meetings and actively participate to develop the business approach to the management of health and safety.
- Deliver Group / Strategy related health and safety training and briefings as instructed by the Head of Health and Safety.
- Attend Group SLT's as requested by the Head of Health and Safety.
- Attend management meetings to report on the performance of the division.
- Prepare and present performance information on behalf of the Divisional Managing Director during the Divisional Safety Leadership Team meetings.
- Actively support the Construction Director by participating in the forward planning and organisation of the management of high risk build activities.
- As requested, undertake Health and Safety site surveys of development plots during the land and planning / pre-construction stage of a development.
- Actively input into the development of designs of potentially high risk elements of the structure to ensure safe systems of work can be applied during the build process.
- Actively input into the development of scopes of work for high risk sub contract packages of work to ensure all significant hazards and risks are being addressed by the delivery team.
- Along with the commercial and production management, review and sign off stage two sub-contractor assessments as required by the St James HSMS.
- Actively participate in the review of the Project Risk Registers.
- Ensure the culture of incident reporting is open and in-line with Group standards.
- Inform the Head of Health and Safety of all incidents, immediately they are made aware of them.
- Complete incident investigations as required by the H&S Management System.
- As agreed with the Divisional Managing Director and via consultation with the Head of Health and Safety, produce Divisional Health and Safety Bulletins in-line with the requirements of the H&S Management System.
- Advise the Divisional management on the requirements of the H&S Management System, and what is required to achieve a compliant standard of performance.
- Advise the Divisional Management on what is required to comply with relevant statutory duties that are not covered by the scope of the HSMS.
- On behalf of the Managing Director, monitor standards of staff health and safety competence (as required by the H&S Training Operational Policy) and report required training needs to the Managing Director for action as per the HSMS management of Training procedure.
- Liaise with external enforcement agencies (in consultation with the Head of Health and Safety) and ensure an internal report is produced and issued to the relevant internal parties before the end of business on the day that the communications have taken place.
- Ensure projects under their remit are advised of current legislative changes and internal standards of what good looks like.
- Stop any unsafe act or condition and inform the relevant activity manager.
- Actively promote the cultural and behavioural expectations of the Group.
- Construction experience
- Excellent working knowledge and understanding of current Health and Safety Legislation
- Proactive, self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook
- Keen to deliver exceptional customer service
- An effective leader, motivator and mentor
- Flexible and reliable
- Credible, and comfortable in dealing with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Reliable, tolerant, and determined
- Team player
- Empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view
- Well-presented and business like
Please note our standard working hours are 8am until 5.30pm Monday to Friday.
Our Culture & Values
Build trust by being open, clear and credible
Take pride in what we do and the impact we make
Work together, empower people and value their contribution
Find individual solutions for every site and situation
Deliver the best through attention to detail in everything we do
Here at the Berkeley Group we proactively appoint trusted suppliers when we require support from Recruitment Companies. The Berkeley Group does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies without consent.
Please fill in details below